I was shocked to learn recently that a full-time employee making minimum wage often cannot afford a one-bedroom apartment in the U.S. Half or more of 1-6 family’-s’ income is used to pay rent or a mortgage. Too often, there is a hard choice of whether or not to buy healthy food, pay for housing, transportation, and/or life-saving medicine. Together we can help provide keys that will unlock a brighter future for millions of people.
I am honored to help raise awareness along side Habitat for Humanity in their annual Home Is Key campaign.
One thing I will never take for granted is having a roof over my family’s head. It wasn’t easy 20 years ago when we purchased our first home, and it’s become even harder to achieve that dream today. I have a heavy heart for those who are faced with uncertainty and fear of where they will live tomorrow.
Here’s What Affordable Housing Can Do
- Frees up income. Families are able to purchase healthy food, medicine, and transportation.
- Less visits to the ER. 90 percent of homeowners in Colorado saw an improvement in their family’s overall health after becoming Habitat homeowners.
- Saving for retirement. In Evansville, IN, 97 percent of Habitat homeowners are now able to save for the future.
- Overall safer. 94 percent of those living in San Francisco East Bay and Silicon Valley reported feeling safer in their Habitat homes.
Habitat’s Home is the Key campaign has been monumental in providing affordable homes, which in return, creates a better life for families and individuals.
Together We Can Help
- Visit: Habitat.org/homeisthekey to make a monetary donation directly to Habitat for Humanity.
- Donate directly at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore at the register.
- O-Cedar will make a donation for every ProMist Max Microfiber Spray Mop sold until May 31st.
- Chico’s, White House Black Market and Soma will make a donation for every $25 (or more) gift card purchased through the month of May.
- Chico’s will make a donation for every signature Slub Tee Shirt sold through the end of May.
In today’s world, owning your own home can seem like a distant dream. I think you will agree that owning your own home unlocks even more possibilities which can then lead to a better life for one’s family. Please visit: habitat.org/homeisthekey to learn more.
Enter for a chance to WIN an O-Cedar ProMist MAX Microfiber Spray Mop
CONGRATULATIONS KIM HENRY!
Giveaway will run until Sunday, May 5th at 9:00 pm CST. Winner will be announced on this blog post and notified directly.
Author and photos – Martha Knake
Chief Editor – Emily Schunke